PSR/Sacramento is a non-profit, educational organization of health
care professionals and other concerned citizens committed to the following goals :
- the elimination of nuclear and other weapons of mass destruction
- the achievement of a sustainable environment
- the reduction of interpersonal violence and its causes
- universal access to necessary medical care for all residents of our state and our country, without regard to income level or ability to pay
Announcement of 2014 High School Scholarship Essay Contest
Open to High School Seniors in Sacramento and Surrounding Counties
Total Scholarship Awards $15,000
Sponsored by the Sacramento chapter of
Physicians for Social Responsibility
Note: Deadline for entry is midnight on Wednesday, March 12, 2014
Students may enter the 2014 PSR/Sacramento Scholarship Essay Contest by submitting an original essay of 500 words or fewer describing their thoughts about the quotation
“Education is the most powerful weapon that you can use to change the world”
from the late Nobel Peace Prize laureate, Nelson Mandela.
Contest Eligibility and Rules
- Contestants must be high school seniors attending school in Sacramento County or in one of the following surrounding counties: Alpine, Amador, Calaveras, El Dorado, Nevada, Placer, San Joaquin, Solano, Sutter, Yolo, or Yuba.
- Contestants must be in good academic standing and on track to graduate in 2014. (Students who entered high school on track to graduate in 2014, but who graduated earlier are also eligible.)
- Contestants are encouraged to discuss the essay topic with teachers, parents, friends, and other mentors, but each contestant must write the essay himself or herself, in his or her own words.
- Essays may either be sent electronically via the PSR/Sacramento website by clicking on this link (preferred method), by email to firstname.lastname@example.org, or by U.S. mail to PSR/Sacramento, 10 Dumfries Court, Sacramento, CA, 95831. Essays sent by email should be included either as an attachment in Microsoft Word format or in the text of the email. Essays sent by U.S. mail must be typewritten and single-spaced. Essays may include a title and footnotes, but these elements are not required. Include a word count with the essay, excluding any title or footnotes, which do not count toward the 500 word limit.
- All essays must be accompanied by an entry form. A blank entry form is available by clicking on this link. The completed entry form may be scanned into PDF format and sent by email to email@example.com or it may be sent by U.S. mail to: PSR/Sacramento, 10 Dumfries Court, Sacramento, CA, 95831.
- Deadline for essay and entry form submission is midnight on Wednesday, March 12, 2014.
- Download a single page flyer and double flyer.
Contest Prizes (Total $15,000)
- First place winner will receive a $3,000 scholarship; second place a $2,500 scholarship; and third place a $2,000 scholarship
- The other seven contestants participating in April 27, 2014 final judging event will each receive $1,000 scholarships.
- If all of the top 10 finalists participate in the finals dinner presentation, the two alternate finalists will both receive $250 scholarships. If one or more of the top 10 finalists cannot be present at the finals dinner and an alternate finalists takes his or her place, the alternate finalist will instead receive a minimum of a $1,000 scholarship and will be eligible for the first, second, or third place awards.
- Scholarship money may be applied toward any education-related expenses upon matriculation at an accredited college or university. Essay contest winners may also apply awards toward tuition for certain other post-high school educational programs, including trade schools, pending review and approval of the proposed curriculum by the PSR/Sacramento steering committee.
For additional information or questions, view our scholarship page, email: firstname.lastname@example.org or call (916) 955-6333. Download a single page flyer and double flyer.